Saturday, June 24, 2006

Party

This is something I don't mention much. It's also something I don't do much.... parties.

We had a kiddie birthday party to go to. One of Julia's little friends turned 4 and we went over to their house for a small gathering and water play.

Like I always do, I ate before I went.

Like I always do, I offered to bring a dish -- both to help the host and to ensure there's something vegan for me to eat. Lucky for me, the parents are vegetarian, and the food was ALL vegan. That doesn't happen often.

What also doesn't happen often? I felt relaxed, comfortable, socialized easily. I didn't feel the pang of social anxiety I feel at other gatherings. I didn't (and this is important) end up nibbling too much food just to keep anxiety at bay. You know.. that emotional eating thing?

Paul told me afterward he really had a nice time too -- no stress, everything very pleasant, etc.

So... what's different this time? Hanging out with people I truly enjoy who don't make me tense.

So... how do we make family gatherings this pleasant so there isn't tension for me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home